“’G’Day”, he said, hanging his close-cropped head out of the Toyota Hilux dual-cab’s passenger-side window.

“Howyagoin?” replied the woman standing by the roadside at the junction of two red dusty roads.

“Bit hot, eh?”

“You not wrong there” she replied with a bit of a headkick starting on the ‘not’.

 “Whaddya fellas doin, eh?” she continued trying to see through the back window.

“We’ere looking for members of the Stolen Generation. Got anyone round here like that?”

“Not really, as I can say so. Used to be. But not now though.”

She noticed his look of disappointment. “But my names Nilly.”

“Hi Nilly. I’m John; from the ABC.”

“Nilly. It ain’t me real name you know.  That’s just what everyone calls me ever since I was a kid. Cause I nearly was one of them stolens.”

“Nilly! I get it. But you didn’t go anywhere? They didn’t take you away?”

“No, I didn’t go nowhere. We were swimming, getting lotus roots, when they come on horses, the sheriff and the priest. So me Nanna hid me under her tits; but me cousins all got taken though.”

“Oh yeah! Are they around here? Can we talk to them?”

“Nar. Sorry. I already told ya. None of them stolens round here. They’re all administrators, beaurocrats, or polticians now. They live in the cities and wear suits. Lowitja came by here in her limo just last week. Didn’t see her for dust. She’s not stupid. We see Aunty sixpence on tele sometimes. By god she got fat that one. They musta really fed her up at that mission school she went to. Was the skinniest little runt you ever saw before. Scratchin around for tucker, dodging the old blokes. They liked us little golden ones.”

“So, are there any Real Stolens round here, or what?” asked the white guy impatiently, waving fourteen flies away from his face.

“No mate. Anyone who gets out of here don’t come back in no hurry. Until they are on the arse of their luck. Then they come back to drink ‘emselves to death. I mean; look at the place.”

“Okay team!” short-hair told them, ”We’re not going to get all of that gear out again for nothing. If there aren’t any Stolens here I say we hi-tail it back to the motel!”

“Hey, you white fellas!”, said Nilly, getting her head close to the window, “I told ya, I nearly got stolen. I’m part white you know? These ain’t my people just cause some of me is black. They steal my welfare and treat me like shit! I nearly got stolen once, or a coupla times. But it’s not too late! You see my face. I’m only 38. Want to see my kids all fucked up on petrol instead of being at school. And I could be educated too. I could learn something to make meself useful. They say me father was a real smart bloke.”

“Nah. No Stolens round here Boss.” said short-hair taking more notice of his phone than Nilly. Brushing her and the flies at once.

“Okay. We’ere pulling out boys.” he said as the driver selected first gear.”

‘Hey common you guys. It’s not too late! The cheques come tomorrow, I’ll be in for another wallapin’. After they’re raped me and my little girls!” she said desperately.

“Seeyalater, Luv” short-hair told her before pulling his head in so the air-con worked.

“Arrr! Ya fuckin white cunts!” she shrieked into the dust.