It’d only been a matter of time before things
would come to a head. The old man’ad been toey for months, since Mick had put
shit on him after a few too many beers at Xmas, so, for a few seconds I thought
a blue was on for sure. The Old Man was going to hit him, but he didn’t, and I
was surprised and felt kind of good about it. Not that I could give a shit
about my brother, but it was the first time I had seen him stand up for
himself, and it had given me some hope. I don’t know why, but the old man had
so much power over us I could feel sorry for him, and hate him, both at the
same time.
Anyway, Mick had drawn the line and stuck
with it. There’d been a bit of shouting and pushing but, for a change, it
seemed neither of them would throw the first punch. Dad’s a tough old bugger
but Mick had really filled out during the previous couple of years.
Mum stood back in the kitchen doorway
twisting her apron around her hands. In the end Mick was getting’ out and
taking his share of the place, ‘and never coming back!’
I thought they’d cool down but in the morning
Dad took the ute to town and except for Mick packing some gear and giving Mum a
kiss-good-bye, that was the last we saw of him. Things were quiet for a few
days, Mum was really upset, but there was plenty of work to do, more than ever.
After a few days Dad seemed to shake it off and gave me a bit of a lecture on
the meaning of life. Nothing I hadn’t heard before, just a lot more intense
that’s all, as though he’d been drinking during the day.
It was his ‘basic philosophy’ talk, “no-one
owes ya a livin’, work hard and you’ll get somewhere, knuckle under if you know
what’s good for ya”. I knew what he was talking about, we had a good amount of
land and the prices were right. The old man drove an LTD with air, drank JD,
and had a decent holiday at the coast every year, what more could a man ask
for? That’s why the ‘ loss ‘ of my brother was a two-sided coin, sure I’d have
to work harder but when the old man died I’ve the place myself!
For more than a year we heard nothing from
Mick but we knew through friends of is that he was overseas. Somehow a couple
of unpaid bills filtered down to us but the old man threw them in the fire with
nothing more than a short hiss.
Mum was a little bit low sometimes, especially
around Xmas, and it was interesting to watch the standoff between her and Dad.
I had originally entertained the notion that
I would fill the gap left by Mick but except for the occasional unexpected hug
from Mum and a whole lot more work, that wasn’t really the case. Being a couple
of years younger I still didn’t have my license and so Dad had to do all the
trips to town, but I became familiar with everything on the place. There
weren’t many jobs I couldn’t take care of and during the mustering and the
drenching there were hired hands to help out; and I enjoyed being the boss.
After a while I got really used to not having
Mick around, even preferred it. He’d been a good brother in some ways but as
well as that, he stood over me, much the same way that the old man stood over
him. Plenty of times I had thought about sticking a knife right between his
ribs.
After about eighteen months Mum was getting
so sad her shoulders sagged, and the two of them began to regularly fight. I
wasn’t around that much after work, I had my own vehicle by then and a
girlfriend that lived twenty K’s closer to town, but when Dad got sick it
seemed to bring it all on at once. Sometimes Mum would have a few beers,
usually when something special was happening, but one night she got pissed and
really stroppy and smashed something they’d owned for a long time. I’d never
seen her like that before and I felt a bit scared, embarrassed, and sad for
them both. It was like she was letting out everything that’d ever hurt her in
her whole life all in one go and the old man was the one who copped the lot.
A few days later I realized what had caused
it. Mick was supposed to be in Sri
Lanka , according to the cousin of some guy
he had been to school with, and there had been a lot of busses getting blown up
and people killed. I don’t think Mum realized how big a place Sri Lanka is but you know,
first-born and all that. I was glad when things cooled down and returned to
normal cause that year was our best for many. Beef prices were high and the
barley pulled in 22 tonnes to the hectare. Dad bought a Range Rover that I knew
he had always wanted. Mum got new kitchen and they put down a deposit on a
place at the coast. The ozzie dollar had dropped about eight cents and fixed up
the markets.
The next thing I knew was when I walked in on
Mum and Dad having a strained-faced discussion in the kitchen. They’d got a
letter from the Australian embassy. Apparently Mick had just about died from
hepatitis in an Indian jail and spent six weeks in some rotten hospital before
being flown out. The Embassy had his passport until $1800 dollars was paid and
he would be staying in St Vincent’s in Brisbane
until he had recovered.
I left them with it. There was a plenty to be
done and it was all over my head. Mick had pissed off when the old man needed
him and blown his share of the farm on god knows what. If he had dropped dead
in Katmandu or somewhere it would have been simply grief and a bit of time, but
shit, what effect was he going to have being back on the scene, weak and
without any money. Mum was quiet but after a few minutes of getting used to the
idea Dad was over the moon. It was if he’d thought Mick was dead or something.
I think the old bastard was finally going senile I mean when Mick was around
all they did was fight anyway; he always gave me impression that he couldn’t
really give a stuff about anyone. But what pissed me off most was that I got
the impression that Mick was gonna be welcomed back with open arms and all the
time I’d spent working my butt off for not much more pay than a blow-in would
come to nothing.
The next morning we said no more than was necessary to get the muster organized and I took off with a couple of the boys to the out-station by Billow Creek. The old man could sort out his own decisions; I’d never made much difference anyway. The only suggestions worth making were ones that he already agreed with. The old man had never backed down before, and he’d never let Mum have her away either, but here he was getting ready to open his arms to someone who’d done and become everything he’d always despised. Someone said blood is thicker than water. But so is shit.
Two days later, back at the homestead there
was a Sunday afternoon barbeque being set up so I decided to let the boys go
ahead, but I just couldn’t stomach it. Cars were parked all over the place and
colored lights lit up the trees but all I could see was red. The old bastard
had always been ungrateful and dictatorial but this was a joke. For my 18th
I had to beg him to buy me a keg. No. I was really pissed off. How could he do
it to me? With Mum it was the kind of thing you would expect, but shit, I’d
never so much as talked back to the old bastard and what did I get for it? May
as well have done the same thing my self. And then where would he have been?
I went to town to get away and have a few
beers. I was playing eight ball and griping to one of my mates when the old man
came in lookin’ like it was Xmas. “C’mon, Pete, what do you think you’re doing
in here. Michael’s back and everyone’s having a great time. They’re all there
except for you.
I looked at the old man and couldn’t believe
it. His face was sort of red and his eyes were bright. He could put on that
conspiratorial, “We’s mates ain’t we.” Look so easy but it hadn’t been around
for a long time.
“What are you talking about?! Who’s been here
working like a dog for the last two years, ha? While shithead spent his money
clowning around and taking drugs! It’s unfair and it doesn’t make sense. What’s
in it for me!?”
“C’mon Pete, give me a break will ya. Michael
could have been dead, nearly was dead. You can’t imagine how it has been for
your Mum and me to have lost contact with our boy. Can you imagine what it must
have been like in that place? Can’t you sympathize with him? Can’t you see my
point of view? And if you won’t do it for me then do it for your mother. You
should see the smile on her face! C’mon Pete you’re missing a good party.
That’s not like you. If your not out there soon I’m gonna come back here and
kick your arse.’
He put his chummy smile on his face again to
let me know he was only joking but the implied threat was there and it pissed
me off to see that nothing had really changed between us. Mick was better off
than me despite pissing his inheritance up against the wall.
Back at that ranch things were in full swing
and everyone was having a ball at our expense. Empty cans and cartons were
strewn all over the ground and the bullock on the spit had been stripped to the
bones. It took me a while to find Mick, or Michael as he told me when I said
hello and shook hands. He looked quite a bit older but somehow better, the
brand new Akubra and shiny boots helped him fit in but his jeans and shirt had
seen better days. His smile gave me the impression that he was glad to see me
but he could also recognize my hesitation and divided way of thinking, and then
he went back to hearing some bullshit version of the way Chook had rolled his
Tojo on the Mt. Marmion road.
Gradually the night wound down. All these
pissed half-wits talking the same old red-necked crap. Not one of them could
finish a sentence without saying fuck three times.
No wonder Mick had wanted to get away from
the place, and despite my reservations and feeling like I’d been shafted he was
definitely the most interesting person around. He was telling a couple of boys
about some beach in Thailand, it sounded like heaven on earth, lucky bastard,
but what I was most interested in was the time he’d spent in jail. It must have
been weird for sure. I would have been scared shitless. “Oh forget about the
stinkin’ jail. There were too many good times to think about that. Anyway, most
of the time in jail I was so sick I didn’t know where I was. Lucky I was white
or they would have left me to die there on the floor.
We both laughed for the first time together.
“You know, I was pissed off when I heard that
you were coming back. I was getting used to not having you around.” I told him.
“But you’re not such an arsehole as you were before,” we laughed again, “and
it’s good to see you. Things can get mighty boring round here sometimes.”
“I hear you going out with Sandy McCabe, she
must a big girl now. Spunky or what.’
‘She’s OK, not much choice around here but we
have a good time. Go down to Thargomindah to her brother’s place sometimes.
He’s got a ski boat and we fart around on the lake. It’s OK, but I guess it
sounds pretty tame compared with the things you’ve been up to.
“You’ll have to get out there and take a look
for yourself, matey. You’ll end up like the old man if you stay around here too
long.” He pulled a small mirror out from beneath a book on the desk. It had two
thin lines of white powder running across it.
“Here, try some of this.”
0 Comments