As you would have gathered by now I’ve always been a lone-wolf whether I liked it or not; although I’ve definitely got to like it because it suits me. But despite that I’ve found that one of the most enjoyable fringe benefits of surfing is the camaraderie amongst the surfers.

I’d early learnt not to talk to anyone in the water so as not to break my concentration on the horizon, but afterwards, at night, it was good to play a few games of 8-ball, drink a few beers, and find out about conditions at other breaks. In that manner I got to know quite a few new people, french, brazilian, american, and plenty of aussies.

The thing about the aussies was that they usually stayed for several weeks at least, and there was a general similarity amongst them. You could say they were easily, and primarily, recognized as being surfers, and the more I surfed, which had become anything from three to six hours a day, the more I looked like just one more Aussie surfer. So what’s the point?

Jack was a problem that just wasn’t going to go away. I lay in bed too hot to sleep, thinking about it every night.

Well, one of the guys I surfed regularly with, Wade, was the same height as me and shared the complexion and hair-color effects of too much sun and salt water. He worked on a geophysics survey ship out of Singapore, spent his regular breaks in Bali surfing, and occasionally went back to Oz to see his folks. A couple of people had mistaken us for brothers, so he was perfect, and when I heard he was going to G-Land for a fortnight it fitted exactly in with my plans. Which were; you will see.

I had a return ticket to Australia booked for the same day Wade left for Garajagan and was already on good enough terms with the security to allow me to do a swap of my passport for Wades. I went in with a passport and came out with a passport; no problem.

One small bag and surfboard, and I was off to Oz. Miss T was staying with friends who all thought I had gone to G-Land too. With no communications and no road in or out who’d know, or even wonder. Who’d knock back a chance to surf G-Land for a fortnight?

The flight was the Garuda midnight shuttle packed with sleepy sunburnt young people so I got in with a bunch of guys from Avalon drinking free beers and getting used to be called Wade. It seemed like a good name for a surfer.

Customs was a breeze. The guy hardly looked at my hung-over face and disheveled hair. I was just one more.

From the airport, as soon as I had stored the surfboard, I caught the airport bus into the city and went straight to the coach terminal where I bought a bus ticket to the north coast, and then caught a cab to Kings Cross to pick up a free syringe and buy some rohypnols and cough syrup. The cough syrup was to ensure me some deep sleep on the trip north.

Next morning I was on the local bus heading towards jack’s place of residence. I alighted in town with everybody else and then walked back out of town towards his house, leaving the road as soon as I could and going cross country to take advantage of the cover of bush.

I came towards his house from the high side, the blocks there being five acres. From the cover of thick weeds about 30 meters away I was able to get a good look at the house, and see in to where he was sitting watching TV.

I knew I would have to be patient. I didn’t have anything more than half a plan, but when he went out for an hour in the afternoon for an hour it gave me a chance to come in close to look through the window, and when he returned I got to see where he hung his car keys.

That night was extremely uncomfortable but at first light I had crushed the rohypnols and got them into the syringe so I was ready when the milkman delivered the carton of milk. I slipped down and injected it with the tranquillizer and returned to my place to watch.

Frustratingly, he didn’t get out of bed until almost 9 but to make up for it he went straight out and picked up the milk, made coffee, and as I had hoped, ate a bowl of cereal.

It was important to be patient so I did my best but the hour seemed to take forever so it was relief laced with trepidation when I sidled down to the house being careful not to leave obvious foot prints and looked in through the window to see him slumped in the armchair in front of the TV sound asleep.

I had already reloaded the syringe so I went to the front door and tried it but it was locked. I went round looking for an unlocked door but ended up having to remove a fly screen and climbing in a window, carefully replacing the screen and removing any fingerprints. Then I went straight to him and stuck him with the syringe. He didn’t budge. Great!

I found a couple of his belts and secured his wrists and ankles and after grabbing the car keys and opening the front door carried him out to the car and dumped him in the boot before returning to the house to grab a baseball cap I’d seen him wearing and a pair of sunglasses. I also picked up the carton of milk and tipped it down the sink, before rinsing his breakfast bowl, drying it and putting it away.

Wearing his cap and sunnies I reversed out of the drive and headed west onto ever quiter roads, glad to see the tank was almost full, and drove carefully yet continually for most of the day.

Late in the afternoon I arrived at a state forest I was familiar with and found the small road that led into the mountains and followed it until I recognized the turn-off onto a fire-trail that went deep into the valley made by the xx river.

Just before dark I stopped where the trail went close to the river and locked up the car before removing Jack from the boot. As I had assumed he had regained consciousness but he couldn’t do much with his arms tied securely behind his back. I could have knocked him out with the tyre lever or something but I didn’t want to do that in case I left some blood in the car. As it was he had already pissed himself, but blood and piss are two different things altogether.

With a bit of trouble, but made easier by the fact that I didn’t care if I hurt him, I dragged him out and carried him for the first ten metres until his jerking-about caused me to drop him. I had only been concerned about leaving drag marks next to the car so from there I did drag him, by his bound ankles, and he probably wished he had stayed still. Hurting him was almost amusing; but it wasn’t why I was there.

Within 5 minutes I was on the bank of a small rocky stream. Night had fallen and all the bush sounds were rushing into my ears. I felt fairly cool but very aware of what I was doing, and the importance of being out of there before dawn so I quickly gathered up some kindling and leaves and got a fire going on a large flat rock in the center of the stream, continually adding to it until it was not so much a blaze but more a solidly fueled fire with some really dry old stumps and logs as the foundation.

In the fires glow I could see his fear-filled face. He had had plenty of time to think about what he had done to me and my little girl. He had had plenty of opportunities to knock it off, to leave us alone, but no, he’d just kept harassing us, and scaring the living daylights out of a young child. I told him as much while I shifted him closer to the fire and of course by then he was doing his damnedest to kick free of the restraints and it looked like he might have had some success in his panicked state so I gave him one good hit on the back of his head with the flat side a smooth flat river stone about the size of a dinner plate. Enough to leave him limp while I rolled his body onto the fire where it soon started to burn. First the pyjamas and his hair of course but pretty soon the meat.

It was a magnificent night under the stars and I just kept feeding the fire and moving arms and legs into the center all night until there was pretty much nothing left. Even the bones had burnt, but I recovered the skull as soon as it was just a glowing ball of bone, rolled it into the water where it hissed and cracked as it quickly cooled. I retrieved it and knocked out all of the teeth onto the rock in front of me and used the same smooth river stone to crush every last one of them, as well as what was left of the skull.

By the time the first indications of morning appeared the job was done, which included everything and anything to do with him that had been in the car, so there was just a pile of glowing coals with hardly any smoke rising from them.

I started splashing water on the fire until it was doused and then carefully dug into the ashes and scooped them one handful at a time into the flowing water where they dissolved. By the time the first birdcalls began I had the surface of that rock looking like a kitchen bench. There was a large burn mark but it didn’t really look like anything other than the colour of the rock, and as for Jack; there was nothing.

Feeling tired but relieved I returned to the car and drove back out of the forest as sedately as I could, considering the enormity of what I had just done, but I was determined not to make any mistakes after such a successful mission; Jack would bother us no more!

From there I intended to return to Sydney, to park the car in an inner city suburb, walk a block, and catch a cab back to the airport for the next flight back to Bali. The car would lose its wheels within a week, have the windscreen smashed in a fortnight, and within the month it would have been hauled away for scrap by a contractor working for the council.

The chinese say did two graves before going for revenge, but I hadn’t dug any.